Honeydew strives to partner with parents in the community to raise their children in a stimulating, social and balanced approach. Partnership with parents is encouraged in our childcare programs. We learn from parents how to best care for their children. Open lines of communication are essential to the care of the children. The parents are informed of daily activities at Honeydew and families are updated about their child’s growth and development regularly and through parent teacher conferences that are scheduled every six months.
Every year, Honeydew organizes many social occasions for parents, teachers and children to socialize and celebrate. We have the Thanksgiving Pot Luck Luncheon – parents are invited to bring a small dish to compliment the Thanksgiving luncheon Honeydew prepares to celebrate the holiday. They come and eat lunch with the children.
In December, we have a holiday party when Honeydew rents a big hall, serves catered food and beverages. The children put on a simple show for their parents and later meets our “special guest” who gives them all presents.
In the spring, we have an Art Gallery Pot Luck / Fundraising Raffle – The children’s art will be on display on the walls and the parents get to see the work of the rest of their child’s classmates.
They enjoy each others dishes and have a chance of winning a gift basket!
And finally, to end the year and to say goodbye to the “graduates”, Honeydew rents out the Prospect Park Carousel for a private party where everyone can ride the carousel as many times as they want. They also enjoy a catered meal and “adult” beverages to celebrate the end of the formal school year.
As most daycare’s’ budgets are slim, Honeydew has many fundraising efforts that families can participate in:
- Picture Day – in the Fall we take solo and class pictures of the children
- Scholastic Book Purchases – small books to be ordered online or through the forms – and we get points for books!
- Book Fairs – twice a year, families get to buy special books for the children.
- Lovable Labels – website that creates labels for everything – and we get a percentage!
- Yearbook – at the end of the year, we publish the yearbook with all the years’ activities. This is a wonderful keepsake of memories of their child’s life at this age.